Updated: May 26
When we imagine the ideal skin, most covet a face that glows with a youthful radiance, and one that is free from rough bumps and other blemishes. However, many factors can cause the lustre in our skin to become duller, that's why it helps to exfoliate the skin now and then to give it a rejuvenating boost.
With that in mind, face peels are one of the best chemical solutions that can speed up the exfoliation process and achieve a flawless appearance, but it's not something you can slap on your face as a regular part of your beauty routine.
How Do Face Peels Work?
As we age, our skin cells turnover more slowly, and our skin can become dull. A chemical peel can help to speed up the turnover of skin cells, revealing brighter and more youthful skin.
Face peels essentially work by removing the dead skin cells that sit on the surface of the skin, revealing the brighter and smoother skin underneath. But because they use chemicals to achieve this, it's essential to be cautious when using them and to make sure you're not overdoing them. Here's a quick guide on how to safely use face peels:
1. Choose the correct type of peel for your skin. There are different types of peels available, so it's crucial to choose one that's suitable for your skin type. If you have sensitive skin, for example, it's best to avoid strong peels that contain high concentrations of acids.
2. Do a patch test. Before using a face peel, it's always a good idea to do a patch test first to make sure you're not allergic to the product. Apply a small amount of the peel to an inconspicuous area of your skin and wait for 24 hours to see if there's any reaction.
3. Be gentle. When applying the peel, avoid rubbing or scrubbing the skin too harshly.
4. Moisturise. After using a face peel, it's essential to moisturise the skin to help it recover. Choose a product suitable for your skin type and apply it liberally.
5. Apply sunscreen. The peel will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so it's essential to protect it by swearing by your go-to sunscreen.
When Should You Get a Face Peel?
A face peel is a cosmetic treatment that can be used to improve the appearance of your skin. Peels can be used to treat a variety of skin concerns, including acne, scarring, pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles.
There are several different types of face peels, and the right one for you will depend on your skin type and the concerns you want to address. A clinician can help you choose the right peel for your needs. However, when it comes to getting a face peel, timing is everything. You don't want to do it too often or close to an important event, as your skin will need time to recover.
As a rule of thumb, light peels can be done monthly to help refresh your skin. But for medium-intensity peels, you can only apply this treatment every four to six months as the chemicals may be too harsh for your skin to handle too frequently. If you want to try deep peels, then it's best to do so every few years only.
The Bottom Line: It's Better to Let Professionals Do Your Face Peel Treatments
There are a lot of reasons to get a facial peel. Maybe you want to get rid of some wrinkles or even out your skin tone. Or maybe you just want to give your skin a fresh start. Whatever your reasons, there are a lot of benefits to getting a facial peel.
When getting a facial peel, it's always best to leave it to the professionals. DIY facial peels can often end up being more trouble than they're worth, and can even cause damage to your skin if not done correctly.
A professional facial peel will be tailored to your specific skin type and needs, and will be done by someone who knows exactly what they're doing. This means that you're much less likely to experience any adverse side effects, and that your skin will be left looking and feeling its best.
So, if you're considering getting a facial peel, book an appointment with a reputable cosmetic clinic like Advanced Laser Clinic. Your skin will thank you for it!